GURS MISSION STATEMENT
The Society of Genitourinary Reconstructive Surgeons is organized exclusively for charitable, scientific, educational and literary purposes. The Society will encourage the study of, promote research in, improve the practice of, elevate the standards of, and otherwise advance genitourinary reconstructive surgery. This mission may be accomplished by:
- Provision of an interdisciplinary forum which will meet at least yearly for the exchange of ideas, presentation of papers, and discussion of principles and techniques of genitourinary reconstructive surgery.
- Encouragement of contributions pertaining to genitourinary reconstructive surgery to the medical and scientific literature.
- Such other mechanisms as the Board of Directors may from time to time determine which are within the parameters required by law for the Society to become and remain qualified as a tax exempt entity.
MISSION-BASED STRATEGIC PLAN
- Promote the education of reconstructive urology by:
- Establishing GURS-Approved Reconstructive Fellowship programs.
- Increasing and providing various opportunities for resident education in reconstructive urology.
- Continuing to sponsor and organize the annual GURS meetings at the SIU and AUA and other international meetings at the discretion of the Board of Directors.
- Providing patient care and educating urologists of developing countries by establishing relationships with international medical aid societies.
- Being the recognized society to facilitate the development of guidelines in reconstructive surgery and genitor-urinary trauma.
- Collaborating with societies with complementary but difference areas of expertise to improve patient care and outcomes.
- Partnering and sharing our expertise with other surgical/medical specialties in order to improve patient care and outcome.
- Promote and support research in basic science and clinical fields of tissue engineering and device design by:
- Establishing a forum for multi-institutional observational or clinical research trials including the measurement of QOL outcomes (PROM).
- Establishing a GURS database for various disease states.
- Developing/using a validated measurement tools for urethral stricture treatment outcomes.
- Establishing a biannual GURS White Paper. Maybe someday a Journal.
- To become leaders and experts in:
- All aspects of urologic Transitional Care Medicine and Surgery (Pediatric to Adulthood).
- All aspects of urologic Cancer Survivorship Care.